* Bitmoji is an app owned by Snapchat that lets users create 2D avatars of themselves.
* Snapchat has now released an update that allows users to place 3D versions of their avatar in real world scenarios
* The update will be available globally from today.
Snapchat’s Bitmoji avatars are coming alive with 3D animations. Days after Apple introduced its 3D animated emojis, Snap Inc now looks to do the same with Bitmoji through its World Lenses feature.
Users can now project their 3D cartoon-self into real-world environments, where they can move it, scale it, and even have it ride a skateboard or do a lot of other things. Animated created in this way can be shared as Story or sent to a friend on Snapchat.
This is an update to Snapchat’s World Lenses feature, which was launched two years ago to allow users integrate filters and cartoon characters into real world situations. The update is expected to roll-out globally from today and will be available to both Android and iOS users.
How it works
Once a user has created an avatar on Bitmoji and has linked the Bitmoji app to their Snapchat, they can start using the feature by following these easy steps:
- Tap your rear-facing Snapchat camera screen to reveal World Lenses options
- You will see 3D Bitmoji appear alongside existing faces and World lenses
- Point the camera at a surface, then select one Bitmoji. Move, scale or drag it as you like till you are happy with your creation.
- You can also walk around your 3D animated Bitmoji like it is actually physically there.
Once you’re ready to share, you can send it to your friends or post it as a Story.
[Featured image: barnimages.com/Flickr]